Tuesday, October 2, 2012

gluten less cookies

You know what else helps?  COOKIES


I know, it hasn't snowed yet, but there has been cause for cookies around here.  This was my first real attempt at cookies sans gluten, and I must say I was very happy with the results.  Adapted slightly from the recipe here, which was just a bit fancy for my taste.

You need:

  • 1 stick of butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup raw sugar (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup amaranath flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips or peanut butter M&Ms (YES)

What to do:

  1. Cream together the butter and sugars.  Add vanilla and egg, mix well.
  2. Add your dry ingredients, mix well. 
  3. Fold in chocolate of your choice.
  4. Put dough on a piece of parchment paper, and using the paper roll into a log 12 in long, 2 in thick.
  5. Refrigerate for at least an hour, this helps!
  6. Preheat oven to 350F, then cut your log into 1/2 in discs.
  7. Place on prepared cookie sheet (re-use your parchment paper), 2 in between each cookie.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then cool the rest of the way on a plate.
  9. Or just eat them right away!  Hooray cookies! 

3 comments:

Kaydo said...

Update: It's snowing now! I am making another batch of these!

kt said...

I was just going to say! Hope these are posted in honor of SNOOOOOW. I always think of you and the night we met the first time it snows.

Kaydo said...

Whoa, revelation: freezer for 15 min works just as good as refrigerator for an hour! MORE COOKIES